Wednesday, June 20, 2012

55%

I'm more than half way to my second bachelors degree and I haven't even started school yet. Second bachelors degree you ask? When did this happen?

Beep, beep, beep, I'm backing up to explain the whole story.

I graduated from high school in 2006 and started college at the University of Utah that fall. I started out majoring in Psychology. I decided I didn't like it enough to make a career of it so I switched my major to Economics. I graduated with a BS in Economics and a minor in Psychology. I had plans to get an MBA and ideally own a small retail business. It was a great plan.

Then I worked at a small retail business. For the most part I really like my job but I do not want to be burdened with everything that comes along with owning and managing a business. I want vacations, I want to be able to sleep at night without worry about my store, I want to spend time with my family. I also want to make a difference in the world. Don't get me wrong, small businesses are very important to the economy and make a difference that way. But I want to make a difference to people. I want to inspire people. I want to help people be better. I want to share what I love with others who are forced to listen to my opinion can then learn to love it too.

I want to be a high school English teacher. In 6 weeks I will have my last day of work. 4 weeks after that I will be in school again. 5 semesters after that I'll graduate. I am 55% of the way done and haven't even had a class at my new school. Luckily I don't have to do any more general education. I get to jump right into the English program. It's a big step but I would feel very unaccomplished and unhappy if I didn't do this.

A huge thanks go to my sweet husband and mom for supporting me in this. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to get it right and end up doing what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts (as long as they are nice)