Monday, May 14, 2012

Bird's Nest Necklace

Yesterday was Mother's Day. Since I hate buying impersonal gifts for people, and because making things is cheaper, I made this wonderful bird's nest necklace for my mom. I had seen these before and wanted to try my hand at making one.


The "eggs" are freshwater pearls. The pearls and "nest" wire came from a great local bead shop called The Bead Fairy. The chain, jump ring, and clasp (not pictured) are all from Michaels arts and crafts store. The picture makes it look kind of gold, but it's silver. Someday I'll be able to take a good picture.

As far as the process of making it, I just made it up as I went. Two pairs of needle nose pliers and wire cutters were my handy assistants for this project. First, I wired the pearls together. Then I made some web-ish type thing on the back of them. I wound the wire around the "eggs" to keep them in a nice cozy nest. To keep the nest from falling apart I wound wire around in three different places. I ended by making the loop to put it on the chain.

What did you get your mom for Mother's Day? Do you prefer to make gifts or buy them (and why)?

P.S. The English language is crap. I got a little confused while editing this post. Here's why:
  • Wind: blowing air
  • Wind: to have a spiral direction
  • Wound: an injury
  • Wound: past tense of wind, but not the blowing wind, the spiral wind
Such garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts (as long as they are nice)